With Wondering Awe
New musical setting (SATB carol) by Fen FrehnerText by anonymous, minor edits by Fen Frehner
A few years ago, I heard one choir director say something like, "There just aren't that many good 'Wise Men' songs". While thumbing through some existing hymns, I came across "With Wondering Awe" and thought to write a new musical setting to these nice lyrics. Some goals with the new setting were:
- To make the verses somewhat mysterious (thus the minor key);
- To make the chorus hosannas dynamic and expressive.
I envision and intend to write an arrangement of this for choir that includes accompaniment and probably some percussion (simple drums and/or tambourine), but I quite like this as-is as a simple carol / hymn, too.
The "Three Christmas Carols" choir booklet (6.875"x10.5") which includes this song may be purchased above by selecting the desired quantity, clicking the "Add to Cart" button, and following the checkout process. A low-resolution version of the sheet music may be downloaded below.
If you would like to purchase the audio recording (vocals by Matthew Curtis) used in the sheet-music video, please contact me. Excellent rehearsal tracks are available above.
Lyrics1. With wond’ring awe the wisemen sawThe star in heaven springing,And with delight, in peaceful night,They heard the angels singing:Hosanna, hosanna, hosanna to his name!
2. By light of star they traveled farTo seek the king from the manger:A humble bed wherein was laidThe wondrous little Stranger.Hosanna, hosanna, hosanna to his name!
3. And still is found, the world around,The old and hallowed story,And still is sung in ev’ry tongueThe angels’ song of glory:Hosanna, hosanna, hosanna to his name!
4. The heav’nly star its rays afarOn ev’ry land is throwing,And shall not cease till holy peaceIn all the earth is growing.Hosanna, hosanna, hosanna to his name!
Text: anonymous, minor edits by Fen Frehner