Come, Follow Me
New musical setting by Fen Frehner for SATB and pianoLyrics by John Nicholson
The goal here was to provide a fresh setting for the text that would give a tailored and unique character to each of the six verses. As such, each verse is different, so additional rehearsal time is needed to learn it. The song is filled with the effects, word-painting, and symbolism. See how many instances you can find.
The 6.875"x10.5" choral booklet sheet music may be purchased above by selecting the desired quantity, clicking the "Add to Cart" button, and following the checkout process. A low-resolution version of the sheet music may be downloaded below.
If you would like to purchase the audio recording (vocals by Matthew Curtis, piano by Fen Frehner) or accompaniment used in the sheet-music video, please contact me. Excellent rehearsal tracks are available above.
Lyrics1. "Come, follow me," the Savior said.Then let us in his footsteps tread,For thus alone can we be oneWith God's own loved, begotten Son.
2. "Come, follow me," a simple phrase,Yet truth's sublime, effulgent raysAre in these simple words combinedTo urge, inspire the human mind.
3. Is it enough alone to knowThat we must follow him below,While trav'ling thru this vale of tears?No, this extends to holier spheres.
4. Not only shall we emulateHis course while in this earthly state,But when we're freed from present cares,If with our Lord we would be heirs.
5. We must the onward path pursueAs wider fields expand to view,And follow him unceasingly,Whate'er our lot or sphere may be.
6. For thrones, dominions, kingdoms, pow'rs,And glory great and bliss are ours,If we, throughout eternity,Obey his words, "Come, follow me."
Text: John Nicholson, 1839-1909